Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My hospital visit at 32.5 weeks

*I've had this post partially written for several weeks now and I forgot to finish! *

So I just realized that I never did an update on my [first] hospital visit since I've been pregnant.
Here's the scoop:
July 21st was a normal day for me. I felt fine the entire day (other than the regular pregnancy woes) and nothing felt out of the ordinary. That night my hubby and I got into bed and I started watching some TV while he read a book.
All of a sudden I had a burning sensation "down there" and knew something wasn't right. I assumed I just had to use the bathroom so that's where I headed. Once I began to pee (or urinate-for those who prefer the politically correct terminology), there was no burning. Just as I was about to head back to bed, I collapsed. An excruciating pain, unlike anything I have ever felt before came over me. It started in the left side of my back and came around to the front, left side of my abdomen.
I called for my husband's help and he could tell by the tone of my voice that something was not right. He rushed and tried to help me. He decided to call my mom and see what she thought we needed to do. The hospital it was. I knew I needed to go to the hospital but I was in such excruciating pain I seriously didn't think I could make it without an ambulance.
I was finally able to throw on a bra while hubby packed a hospital bag.
After what seemed like a LONG ride to the hospital (although it was actually a speedy, quick ride...) we arrived. I was put into a wheelchair and rushed up to the OB floor. They checked my cervix when I got there and found out that I was 1 cm dilated but didn't think I was in labor.
 After several tests I find out that I was passing kidney stones. It was so painful and many say that it's the closest pain to childbirth. I ended up having to stay about 32 hours in the hospital for IV antibiotics and fluids. I was able to go home that Friday morning but remained in pain throughout the weekend and into the following week. It wasn't until I finished my round of antibiotics that they sent me home on that I started to feel better. So... yeah. I definitely have a new appreciation for people that have kidney stones!

*Next post: My [second] hospital visit during this pregnancy. Stay tuned.*





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love! I enjoy reading everyone's comments :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails