Friday, September 17, 2010

Kynlee's Arrival

Remember where I left off with this post

Well after waiting forever for the results of my urine test on Thursday afternoon (Aug. 26th), I finally got them around 6:30 p.m. (I had been expecting them around 3 p.m.). My doctor came in and I immediately said, "Can I PLEASE go home?" I was literally begging. I had already planned in my mind to go straight home and take a shower. The next words out of her mouth are ones I will never forget. She replied, "Absolutely not! It's time."

Turns out that my urine contained too much protein and therefore, with my BP problems, it was looking like pre-eclampsia. Still, I pleaded with her to let me go home to shower, get a few more things, and then come back. She said no. I think I was looking for any excuse to leave the hospital because I wasn't ready. Even though I had been begging for Kynlee to come and joking with the doctor about inducing, I truly did not want to induce. Nevertheless, that's what happened.
The nurse let me take a shower at the hospital and then the induction began around 10:00 p.m. that night. Luke and I settled in for the night as best as possible because we knew that this was going to be a long process. Around 6:00 a.m. Friday morning, the doctor came in to break my water. (By this time, MY doctor had gone home... but thankfully the doctor who was on-call that weekend was the other female doc in the office...I really like her, too... and I was so grateful that it was her and not doctor male).  
Speaking of breaking the water... what a gross & painful process!

After the doctor broke my water I was 3 cm dilated but Kynlee was still high and had not dropped. The contractions were becoming more frequent and more intense. I waited about an hour and then received my epidural. I wasn't sure what to expect when it came to the epidural going in, but it wasn't bad at all. The only thing that hurt was the initial numbing medication going in and after that it was a breeze. From this point on I didn't really notice my contractions unless I was watching the monitor. Occasionally I could feel them but it wasn't too bad.

The nurse continued to check my cervix for progress every couple of hours or so but there was no change throughout the day. By 3:00 p.m. (9 hours later) I was still at 3cm (possibly 3.5 cm, she said...haha). The doctor was the one who checked me that time (instead of the nurse) and she said that my cervix was still very high and that she did not see me being able to deliver vaginally.

Ok, let me pause right there and explain something. 

Prior to being in actual labor, I wanted to deliver vaginally (and still wish I'd been able to...). Of course I always knew that there was a possibility of a C-section but I never thought that much into it. I just knew I'd be able to deliver vaginally. Wrong.

With that being said, I CHOSE to have the C-section that afternoon. It was not an emergency C-section at that point. For someone who was so adamant about delivering vaginally, I was quick to change my mind, huh? After waiting so long to meet Kynlee, I was ready. The doctor said that we could wait a few more hours and just SEE if there was more progress & that she wasn't concerned with me only being at 3cm after so long.... she just didn't think I'd deliver vaginally because of how high Kynlee still was. She said she was about 90-something% sure that I would end up having a C-section.

Well, that was all I needed to hear. If the doctor was almost certain that Kynlee would be born via C-section anyway, then there was no point in waiting around a few more hours. The doctor and nurse left the room and gave my hubby and family a chance to talk about it. After some discussion we decided to go ahead with the surgery. The nurse and doctor came back in a few minutes later and we told them that we were ready to have the baby!

Then the hustle and bustle began. Luke was given scrubs to put on and they put socks on me, a hair cap, & laid a heavy robe over me. The anesthesiologist was called in to put more medicine through my epidural line and he stayed with me during the entire procedure. They wheeled my hospital bed out of the room and down the hall to the operating room. Luke had to wait in the hall until I was fully prepped and then they let him come in. By the time he was allowed in I was already cut open. I couldn't feel much of anything except some pressure. I began to get extremely nauseous so the anesthesiologist administered some nausea meds into my line and I quickly felt better. Soon after I felt some REALLY bad pressure that was very uncomfortable and Luke informed me that her head was out! A few seconds later I felt even more intense pressure and then her whole body was out! The C-section did not take long at all.

There were sooo many people in the operating room...nurses, doctors, etc. 
They began stitching/stapling me up and after showing Kynlee to me, they began to clean her up, also. Once she was cleaned up, the anesthesiologist took some family pics of us. He was so nice and talked to me throughout the whole operation to make sure I was okay. He was definitely a blessing that day! I went into the recovery room for about 20 minutes but Luke was able to take Kynlee to the nursery to be weighed & bathed. Of course all the fam was waiting in the hall for him to bring her by :).

There is another story that I need/want to share about her birth day, but this post is already wayyy long so I will make another post for it [eventually].

Kynlee's stats:

Born August 27, 2010 at 4:20 P.M.
6 pounds, 12.5 ounces
19 inches long

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love! I enjoy reading everyone's comments :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails